Mon - Sat: 7:00 AM - 04:00 PM

Bitcoin<span id="more-8757"></span> Users Scramble as Major Exchange MtGox Goes Offline

Two Bitcoin traders hold protest signs in-front regarding the MtGox Tokyo head office on Tuesday (Image: AP)

Imagine waking up one morning and finding down that Wall Street had merely vanished into thin atmosphere. That’s somewhat akin to what happened in the world of Bitcoin earlier this week, when Bitcoin that is tokyo-based exchange seemingly disappeared on Tuesday after reports surfaced that the site had been suffering devastating losses behind the scenes.

Safety Problems, Exchange Problems Blamed

The last couple of weeks have been particularly rough for MtGox. Simply weeks hence, the exchange halted withdrawals into main-stream currencies after uncovering a safety flaw in Bitcoin that may end in fraudulence. This past Sunday, MtGox CEO Mark Karpeles resigned his position in the board of this Bitcoin Foundation.

Many other bitcoin that is major and exchanges were quick to point towards the collapse of MtGox being an isolated incident that was more about mismanagement than any specific problem with the digital money itself.

‘just like any industry that is new there are specific bad actors that must be weeded out, which is what we’re seeing today,’ groups including Coinbase and BTC China said in a statement.

The latest problems began on Monday night, when MtGox halted all Bitcoin trading without any caution to its users. Soon thereafter, your website went blank entirely, as though it had simply disappeared.

That had an immediate and effect that is predictable the cost of Bitcoin, aided by the change rate at least on other exchanges that were still investing dropping to around $400 per Bitcoin.

Earlier this week, documents that have been supposedly leaked from MtGox claimed that 744,408 Bitcoins were missing from MtGox, which would add up to hundreds of dollars equivalency within the digital currency. According to the ‘Crisis Strategy Draft’ which was published on the web log of Bitcoin enthusiast Ryan Selkis MtGox was considering dropping Karpeles as CEO, installing a ‘competent team’ to redesign the exchange, and ultimately rebranding the website to replace consumer confidence.

Increasing the confusion is the proven fact that MtGox also deleted their Twitter feed on Sunday, removing another possible avenue for the site to disseminate information on the current situation.

Secrecy and Confusion

The outcome is the fact that few, if any, people outside of this insiders at MtGox it self know what is happening and whether the change is solvent. After about 12 hours of silence, MtGox did return, though only with a statement that is short.

‘In light of recent news free coins players paradise slots reports and the possible repercussions on MtGox’s operations and the market, a decision was taken up to close all transactions for the time being in purchase to protect the website and our users,’ a statement through the MtGox group said. ‘we shall be closely monitoring the situation and will react correctly.’

On Wednesday, a second statement from Mark Karpeles also showed up.

‘I would like to use this opportunity to reassure everyone that i will be still in Japan, and working very difficult with the support of various parties to discover a solution to our recent problems,’ Karpeles said. The statement also said that most staff at MtGox was in fact instructed never to answer questions in regards to the situation.

To make matters worse for the company, MtGox has reportedly received a subpoena from federal prosecutors in New York. Japanese authorities also have said that they are investigating the shutdown associated with the site.

Prepaid Gambling Debit Cards Get Regulatory Thumbs Up in Nevada

Now approved by regulatory authorities, Nevada gamblers will soon have the ability to use debit that is pre-paid on slot machines (Image: ThinkStock)

Nevada has joined Atlantic City in approving the introduction of prepaid debit cards for use in its video gaming devices, a move that is being praised by promoters of accountable casino and gambling operators alike. The cards which are tied up to a client’s benefits account can be used just like a debit that is traditional, except that when the card balance hits zero the customer is forced to quit gambling. In this sense they work just like cash.

Nevada Gaming Commission Gives Okay

The regulatory amendments, that have been passed unanimously by the Nevada Gaming Commission, are the effect of over two years of conversations between payments processor Sightline and regulators, responsible video gaming advocates, operators and gaming equipment suppliers.
‘ This will be a development that is historic gaming, not only in Nevada but potentially nationwide,’ said Kirk Sanford, CEO and Founder of Sightline Payments. ‘The gaming industry has long lagged behind the broader economy in its usage of electronic re payments. The action by the Commission clears the option to bring the advantages of electronic payments to both gaming operators and gaming clients. We’re grateful that Nevada has taken the very first step, and now we plan to pursue comparable regulatory initiatives in other jurisdictions.’
Nevada bans the use of credit cards for gambling, and yet the gambling enterprises have always welcomed the notion of a wagering that is cashless to reduce the problems and costs associated with handling and transporting large amounts of money.
The new cards supply the solution, while satisfying regulatory concerns at the same time. Station Casinos chief officer that is financial Falcone welcomed the move, saying, ‘We think that it really is time Nevada gaming companies obtain the advantages of electronic commerce that have been available to other industries for several years.’

Could Help Problem Gamblers Set Limits

Sightline’s attorney Dennis Neilander commissioner that is former of Nevada Gaming Control Board told the Gaming Commission that the cards satisfied the concerns for the Nevada Council on Problem Gambling, a company that has battled hard contrary to the use of traditional credit cards and debit on gaming tables and devices. He also stated that the limits in the prepaid cards are governed by the Treasury Department’s Financial Crimes Enforcement Network, adding that many banks have cash restrictions on the cards and that customers can set their particular limits regarding the amount the card can hold; a potential approach to self-control for problem gamblers. Sightline would also make noticeable a warning about problem gambling to players if they load funds from a bank account to the card.
United Coin manager that is general Des Champs highlighted the safety benefits for customers, saying that the cards negated the necessity for people to carry big amounts of cash around; therefore decreasing the risk of robbery as well.
‘It would provide an level that is enhanced of and security,’ he said in a page to your commission.
While the Gaming Control Board must accept the technology before the cards can be used, the regulatory amendments clear the method for Sightline to work with casino operators to bring their trademark Loyalty Card Plus card into Nevada gambling enterprises. The card is utilized by three online video gaming operators in New Jersey: Borgata, PartyPoker and Golden Nugget.

Game On: Sands, MGM Vow to Spend Billions for Japanese Casinos

Like their prosperous Macau and Las Vegas properties, Las Vegas Sands and competitors MGM and Wynn desire to break the emerging Japanese land gaming market (Image: AP file picture)

It’s Sheldon Adelson’s favorite expression: the casino magnate has pledged it takes’ to gain a foothold in Japan, should the country legalize land-based casinos, as is expected to be approved in time to have casinos in place for the 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympic Games that he will spend ‘whatever. Coincidently, Adelson additionally recently declared, vehemently, it takes’ to prevent online gambling from gaining a foothold in the U.S., although in the case of Japan, the ‘whatever’ has a number, and that number is $10 billion that he would spend ‘whatever.

Money or Check?

It’s really a dramatic statement of intent from the CEO of the Las Vegas Sands Corporation, which already operates the Venetian in Macau additionally the Marina Bay Sands in Singapore, as the company licks its solid chops at the proposed regulation of land gambling within the world’s third many prosperous economy. Adelson even told a press meeting in Tokyo that he would pay that amount in ‘cash’ if required. We suppose it helps being the ninth-richest person in the entire world when you make statements that way.

It will certainly make Japan’s lawmakers sit up and take notice. The country’s ruling Liberal Democrat Party submitted a bill to parliament in early December that aims to open a gaming market up that may potentially end up being the second-largest within the world. It is approximated that Japan’s casino market could eventually generate $40 billion in revenue annually.

‘I think the bill will positively pass,’ says Assistant Professor at Nihon University College of Economics Kazuaki Sasaki. ‘LDP is supporting the bill as well as for those parties that are against the bill, I really don’t think they will put limitations on each member’s vote.’

Competitive Bidding

However, experts are expectant of a very bidding that is competitive once the bill passes, and say it could well be five years prior to the very first casino is ready to go. It’s no surprise, then, that the casino leaders are starting to flex their muscles, vying to gain the upper hand. Las Vegas Sands’ $10 billion spending declaration is twice that of what Macau’s Melco Crown has pledged to ante up. And with typical bravado, Adelson also informed assembled news that his business had already established offices in Japan, and is ready to start employees that are hiring.

Should Las Vegas Sands receive a gaming that is coveted, it will only give consideration to building a casino in a large metropolis, such as Tokyo or Osaka, Adelson revealed. This, in accordance with gaming that is regional D.S. Kim, is certainly much consistent with the business’s M.O. a choice for building large-scale casino resorts, complete with convention centers and departmental stores, in major tourist hubs with large, affluent populations and good transport infrastructures already in destination.

Put simply: not Sochi.

Twenty-four hours after Adelson’s press conference, MGM Resorts shot back with their very own statement that is bold of, with CEO Jim Murren declaring a budget of $5 to $10 billion as well.

‘ We shall over-invest in the beginning to make certain, once we have done every-where else, so that we have actually properties that are built to last and that would stand extra competition,’ he promised.

Wynn Resorts Ltd. President Matt Maddox’s reaction was more conservative, but perhaps contained a nod that is snarky his competitors’ machismo: ‘The possibility is quite good, but you have to be careful in throwing down billions and vast amounts of dollars without really understanding what the goals are of the city.’

Appears like these competitors are starting their games that are own quickly as possible.